A window inside life at Augustana College

Letter #6: Dear Mama,

Letter #6
April, 2nd 2012
Dear Mama,
To my readers: Again, I apologize for not having this updated, I keep trying to go back in time and give updates, but I have decided to skip all of that and just give an overview of the past 2 months. I will continue to update this, and have really missed writing recently.

I spend my first week of spring break in Albany, Georgia with Habitat for Humanity and had an amazing time with some of the most amazing people that I know. I had such a great time, but I was still ready to go visit my mom, who I hadn’t seen in about 3 weeks. Every night I laid in bed and would think about her and everything that was happening in life.

Finally, after 9 days, I was in the car with Mason on my way home. It was a long ride to the chicago suburbs, but I had a good time and was ready to see my mom. I walked into the house and saw my mom, who had just shaved her head about 2 days before. She had tears instantly go into her eyes. She was so excited to see me, and the feeling was mutual. I had to assure her that it was okay that she didn’t have her hair, and it didn’t matter what she looked like, I loved her and that I was just glad she is alive.

The next few days were very emotional, but healing as I got to spend a lot of time with her. On Tuesday, I was able to take her to get hydrated and get blood drawn to test and make sure she was ready for her Chemo on Wednesday. It was a nice little place that just had a common room that everyone sat in Lay-Z-Boy chairs. My mom knew a lot of the people in there and the nurses were very nice to her. We sat their as they hooked everything up to her port and then we waited, after a little while I went to get some lunch, as she feel asleep and it was going to take about 3 hours until we were done. Wednesday we went back and went through a similar routine, but this time instead of fluids, they were putting the Chemo into her system.

We also got the results back from a test she had that confirmed that the cancer had metastasized into her bones and was present in her spine. We also know that it is in her hips and shoulders. This means that the cancer is on stage IV, which gave me little hope when I found out, as the 5-year survival rate is only around 20%. This was not new news for us however, but just confirmed our suspicions.

It was nice to be able to go out with my mom and get her out of the house, but also good to just sit at home and nap together, and work on some of the puzzles that we bought. Overall, it was just great to be around her, and I did not want to go back to Augustana, but I know that I had to.

I also was able to go home about a week ago and visit her, which was great to see what was going on in her life. Although I only got to see her for a few hours on Saturday, it was great to see her and know that she was feeling better. I was also able to learn that her tumor had shrunk by about 50% and that everything the doctors and us were hoping for was happening.

However, Saturday I got a call from my mom saying that she had been in the hospital since Thursday. She had really bad stomach pains, so she decided to head to the ER. They did not know what was wrong with her, but she was not able to keep anything in her system and was not really able to eat. She said that all of her doctors had visited her, and she was hoping to be getting out on Monday. I did not catch up with her yet, but I hope she is out of the hospital now and feeling better. All I do is worry about her, and hope that she keeps fighting her hardest.

I love you mom always and forever,
Your Son

Leave a Reply