A window inside life at Augustana College

Two Countries, One Mission: Mississippi Part 4-February 25, 2009

This is 4th in a series of 6 entries that I wrote when I was down in Mississippi in February 2009…


As I promised in last night’s update, tonight I’ll be talking more about the Canadians we have helping us out this week. But first, as is always the drill, let me tell you about my day. I woke up at about 6:20 in the morning, went down to grab my lunch when I first woke up, then got into my work clothes, after which I went down to breakfast before meeting as a group at 7:45. Apparently there is a 2004 Augustana Graduate who is currently working at a Hospice in Ocean Springs, and over half of our group ended up going over to paint some artwork for the Hospice. I, however, did not partake in the painting, as my crew and I preferred to stick it out on our site(or maybe it was just the food). Anyway, we pulled out of Camp Victor at around 8 in the morning, but before we could make the full drive to Pascagoula, we had to stop at another worksite so we could pick up one of our adult sponsors who was skilled in the art of laying drywall. After we toured the progress that the other group had made(they were redoing the home of someone who was still in a FEMA trailer[yes, some people are STILL in trailers…]), we embarked en route to our site. We arrived at the site and then Laverne(our resident) gave us a light-hearted hard time for leaving without saying goodbye yesterday(hey, we had to get to Mardi Gras…). After some good-natured ribbing(and a round of free hugs on the house) we set ourselves down to work. Our goal for the day was to get as much drywall laid down as was possible, since we did insulation the day before. I became a real expert at ripping off metal stripping of window frames. At noon, Laverne gave us a scrumptious home-cooked meal of Chili Cheese Dogs and French Fries with ketchup. Just the latest example of my iron will being corroded by food… After we did lunch, we went back to work, put in some more drywall, and left at 5 to go back to camp, where the highlight of my evening was watching this really witty French movie.
Now, as I promised, a little bit about our hockey-loving friends from up north. When I first got here on Sunday, I talked to a few of the Candadian students who were there already, and what I learned during that half-hour time span was very interesting. First off, these were all college students, part of the Habitat for Humanity chapter at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, Canada. Second, it took them 50 hours to get here(by the way, that’s straight driving time), which they luckily had coach buses for. Last night, I tried some nifty Canadian tea, and it tasted pretty awesome. Finally, it appears that they know how to have a good time, since they’ve gone out to the Big Easy Twice in the past two days. The first night they went down there to commemorate the Mardi Gras festivities.  Then the second night, they went down there to see a basketball game. Well, I am off to bed now, I must be up in 6 hours to start the pattern all over again. Just think, “I’ll be home in 3 days…”

Leave a Reply